- What Are Academic Awards?
- What Types of Campuswide Awards Exist?
- What Types of Nationally Competitive Scholarships/Fellowships Exist?
What Are Academic Awards?
Campuswide awards and nationally competitive scholarships are an excellent way to stand out as a law school applicant. These types of awards/scholarships are not need-based. Instead, they are awarded primarily based on academic achievement.
What Types of Campuswide Awards Exist?
- Bascom Hill Society Scholarship—One-year scholarship for student with distinguished record of service/leadership/ academic achievement, and demonstrated financial need
- Herfurth-Kubly Award—Two $2,000 awards recognizing outstanding seniors
- Hilldale Research Fellowship—Approximately 105 awards funding student/faculty collaborative research in any field
- Holstrom Scholarship—Approximately five awards funding student/faculty collaborative environmental research
- Meyerhoff Undergraduate Excellence Award—26 awards recognizing juniors and seniors who excel in leadership/service/scholarship
- University Book Store Award—As many as 20 awards recognizing independent student work in any field (e.g., a senior thesis)
What Types of Nationally Competitive Scholarships/Fellowships Exist?
- Beinecke—For juniors to fund graduate study in arts, humanities and social sciences
- Churchill—For seniors or recent grads to fund one year of graduate study in science, technology, engineering or mathematics at Cambridge University
- Fulbright—For seniors or recent grads to fund academic opportunities for personal development and international experience
- Goldwater—For sophomores or juniors to fund undergraduate study for students in math, science and engineering
- Marshall—For seniors or recent graduates to fund two years of (graduate) study in any field at a university in the UK
- Mitchell—For seniors or recent graduates to fund one year of (graduate) study in any field at any university in Ireland or Northern Ireland
- Rhodes—For seniors or recent graduates to fund two years of (graduate) study in any field at Oxford
- Truman—For juniors to fund graduate study in public service field
- Udall—For sophomores or juniors to fund undergraduate study in environmental studies, tribal policy or tribal health care
Students interested in applying for a campuswide award or nationally competitive scholarship other than the Fulbright should contact the Undergraduate Academic Awards Office: firstname.lastname@example.org; https://provost.wisc.edu/